Who attends Synod Assembly?
+S7.21. of the synod constitution states that “The membership of the Synod Assembly, of which at least 60% of the voting membership shall be composed of laypersons, shall be constituted as follows:
- All ministers of Word and Sacrament under call on the roster of this synod in attendance at the Synod Assembly shall be voting members.
- All ministers of Word and Service under call, on the roster of this synod shall be voting members in the Synod Assembly, in addition to the voting membership of lay members of congregations provided in item
“Pastors from a church body with which a relationship of full communion has been declared and established by the ELCA may gain voice and vote privileges in the Synod Assembly by sending a letter to the Bishop requesting such privileges.” SC/R7.27.
Additionally, our synod constitution in continuing resolution SC/R7.21.c. states that “each congregation will be allowed at least two voting members to the Synod Assembly.”
Visitors and Guests are also invited and strongly encouraged to attend the Assembly especially this year with our Glocal Event that will offer more opportunities for visitors to be engaged in learning and wonderful international music. Congregations – please encourage folks from your church to join in the fun!
What happens at Synod Assembly?
- Plenary sessions where voting members attend to the business of the synod which will include Keynote Speaker, the Rev. Dr. Stephen Bouman, the Report from the ELCA, adopting changes to the synod constitution, Global Mission information, Elections, special recognitions, Glocal Musician Educators, voting on the 2018 Synod Mission Plan, hearing from our partners in ministry and much more.
- Mission Expo – explore the many vendor displays showcasing ministries and missions from around the synod and beyond; listen and experience international musicians entertaining during the Friday afternoon Expo
- Workshops – Visitors and Guests can attend workshops during the plenary sessions on Friday morning and EVERYONE has time on Friday afternoon to attend two (2) workshops. There are three workshop tracks [Global, Local and Social Justice] and topics include: Short-term Mission, Challenging Your Assumptions, Twinning, Campus Ministry, Cross-Generational Engagement, Immigration, Disaster Preparedness, Creative Accompaniment, All Things Legal for Congregations, and much more.
- Eucharist Worship, Friday evening at 7:30pm with Bishop John Macholz presiding and music by our Glocal Musician Educators. Other worship opportunities include early morning prayer and prayer and anointing in the Prayer Room with our assembly chaplains.
- Fellowship – Thursday evening at the Radisson and Friday evening the Women of the ELCA will host us in the Galleria at the Convention Center.